sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:03:43 +0400 (MSD)

Ari, where exactly did you find any negative emotions
in my post?

I strongly believe that creating a swap file is only
suitable for client systems where inability to create
it on the next reboot, operate on it after a file
system malfunction, or probable security implications
would not lead to negative consequences. I'm running a
server here and I wouldn't set up a swap file in any of
my working partitions a-la Windows pagefile.

Moreover, if I can avoid disk usage while not investing
anything extra in RAM, I will do that simply because
volatile data should be in the most disposable place.
There's no buisness for /tmp, /var/tmp, or for that
matter, /usr/src/newshinysoftandfluffy-1.0-rc1, on the
HDD. For me, tempfs partition is also holding CVS locks
and Java app server's persistence and volatile data,
off-loading this (technically speaking) garbage into
RAM, and I'm happy.

For Windows, all available solutions analogous to
tempfs are commercial, and sometimes can cost you a
small fortune.

--Sergey.

Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>:

> Quoting "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>:
>
> > I still think tempfs is a very elegant solution to many
> > problems (disk clean-up, /tmp using my otherwise unused
> > most of the time swap partition, performance still
> > there), but that's not the point. Why are we discussing
> > what to change when there's a whole slew of sorcery
> > functions to implement to be feature-complete for 1.0?
> >
> > --Sergey.
>
> Werd.
> The important thing is that tempfs works. For those
that are annoyed
> at the thought of having to create a large swap
partition, remember
> that you don't have to! You can create a temporary
swap file,
> instructions have been around for a long time now
(unfortunately I
> don't know them offhand, but I'd bet they're
somewhere in the wiki).
> Performance-wise, 99% of the time spent compiling
large programs is a
> part of the actual compilation process and has
nothing to do with the
> overhead in cast. If you are fed up with compile
times, maybe you
> should go back to a binary distro - it's an inherent
problem with using