piw - Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:34:20 -0800 (PST)

Sorry Heide,

There are too many listservs and I was rushing out the
door. I intended the bottom part of my message to the
plantdb group, which is about plants (so far). It
related to what you were saying (albeit the technical
breakdown). I failed to separate it's contents for my
convenience leaving work after a long day.

Entering brain dumps will be the reality of the system
and represents our technical challenges. As we
discuss it further, the patterns will emerge. It's
important not to get bogged down by expression. At
the same time, computer technology seeks to break down
the ever changing world into discreet components and
their patterns. If this can't be done at a detailed
level, a less accurate and grainy generalization is
mandated. We want a tool to make the human job more
effective, not replace us (contrary to popular oppion,
they can't, haven't, and won't).

I find it important that species relationships require
a discussion beyond specifically discussing plants,
animals, cellular life, or even viruses. In fact,
even nutrients are involved. I am only asking for
lists of these components. Then I am asking for
examples of these components; or completed lists when
it can be easily done. You have provided a great deal
of this information, so please forgive a little tech
chat in the wrong place.

I have made suggestions on the technical side that
address the inevitable "data in the wrong boxes and
the system just needs to deal with it" realities. I'm
not expecting data to come into this system and we
don't have any concerns about its validity or direct
usefulness. My focus is only on what you require the
system to provide in order to be useful to you.

-Sean.

--- Heide Hermary <heide.hermary AT gaiacollege.ca>