piw - Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:58:14 -0800 (PST)

Heide,

This is right on with helping the techies organize the
information that could be collected. You are
absolutly correct that we need to discuss this in
terms of what it's users will understand.

Here is what I am hearing from below:

You have a type of relation: eats, lays eggs, pollen
distributer, seed distributer, etc.

You also have a species: parsley, butterfly, turnip,
etc.

There is a connection to be made: Papilio polyxenes
larvae eats Carum Petroselinum and adult Vanessa
virginiensis pollenates Helianthus annuus. There
would need to be modifications to this relation like
stage of maturity, locale, and time of year.

Perhaps we can all brainstorm to list all fundamental
types of species relating, list the pertinant stages
of development, agree on a way to express locale/time
or whatever metric is important.

-Sean.

Table wise I'm seeing three entities: plant, relation,
and relation_type. relation is a composite of two
dimensions of plant and a dimension of type and has
measures of maturity range, times of year, perhaps
calories/materials exchanged per unit, and more. Some
measures may need further mormalization, depending on
what we come up with.

--- Heide Hermary <heide.hermary AT gaiacollege.ca>