piw - Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson AT stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:33:25 -0800

Amen.

Thank you Heide, for your insightful and provocative posts! (I suggest we all
re-read her words at the bottom of this email.) A few things:

-I agree that it would be an overwhelming task to develop an entirely new (and
more function-oriented) taxonomy. However, in the process of developing this
(dynamic) database, we may observe such a taxonomy emerge (and co-evolve)
organically…

-How can we define relationships as +/-, synergistic/antagonistic – when
this seems to change with level of magnification? A relationship appears
antagonistic when observing one particular organism, and appears synergistic
when observing the ecological context (Heide’s butterfly example as a case
in point). Will we therefore have different levels of 'zoom' – allowing
users to zoom into (organism-scale) or out of (ecosystem-scale) ecological
relationships?

-I’d like to reiterate Heide’s words, “I've thought about this a lot and
finally decided not to worry about categories, but to describe the
relationships. Too much is lost by trying to fit organisms and dynamic
relationships into tight little boxes. That's not how life works. And that's
why we don't have much easily accessible information on exactly these things.
Which is the reason for developing this database in the first place. So let's
not condemn it to superficiality right from the start.” Yes, exactly. This
database will inspire users to think *systemically* - in terms of ecological
relationships versus discrete (no such thing) components. As I mention in
grant proposals, PIW is a manifestation of the paradigm shift from
reductionism to holism, which will be reflected in its structure.

-However, as Rich and Sean point out, computers Love categories and discrete
components. I wonder, is this the way computers are intrinsically, or is this
the way we’ve trained them to be? Would it be possible to develop a
computer language/database structure conducive to a more analog/continuous way
of organizing information? Would it be possible to develop computers that
Love webs and relationships instead?

-And thanks Matthew, for your suggestion. Yes, we have discussed
testimonials and rating systems. But, I do prefer your description of it as a
“mass repository for folk wisdom” better.

Thanks again to everyone for such stimulating discussion.

peace
*Stephanie

p.s. Others might be interested in checking out Heide's database - Heide,
would you be willing to show it to others on this list?