piw - Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:29:17 -0800 (PST)

The Tao is just a name, but the way is something else
entirely. The fact that computers use only what can
be named isn't so much a limitation of computers, but
more our human ability to describe and convey
information. The computer can not think for us, but
can only be used to help us think better. This should
comfort anyone concerned about artificial
intelligence; I consider it yet another ego trip for
man kind (ever think about describing just what it
means to be intelligent or even concious?).

Whether it is creating a context to put us in a more
useful context, or to goad us into considering many
contexts, we first have to explain to ourselves what
we need for thinking better. The "techie" details are
the easy part. Good computer programs are just a
conduit for human expression; the web, spreadsheets,
word processors, publishing, project management,
drawing, designing, etc.

I'm hearing Species (not just plants) have
Relationships depending upon the Context of a given
Bio-region, Micro-climate, and Time of year. Is this
correct? Could we say that a Guild is a collection of
Species having a collective net regenerative (positive
feedback) Relationship? A guild is a community of
species offering a harvest?

This might seem overly simplistic, but this is the
starting point for developing the pattern language
which becomes our tool. Once we have the players,
then we can talk about what each knows about
themselves and identify their role within the meta
community. If it helps, don't look at this as an
exercise to develop a repository of knowledge, but as
an exercise to develop a way to use it.

-Sean.

--- Stephanie Gerson <sgerson AT stanfordalumni.org>

=== message truncated ===