permaculture - Re: [permaculture] kickstarter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] kickstarter
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:47:21 -0600

John,

I'm looking at the list of rewards for the kickstarter. I don't even
see a reward for $80. What reward did you select?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/wood-burning-stoves-20-the-dvds

To get the 4-DVD set via streaming, that would have been $90. To get
them as physical DVDs that would be $100. To get your name listed in
all four DVDs that would be $55. To get a single DVD that would be
$30.

It sounds like you selected "Get your name listed in the credits." so
that is what you got. 11 other people purchased the same thing. 696
people selected the physical DVD set for $100.

If you didn't want your name listed, then I don't know why you selected that.

> Seems that others wo paid more are getting a T-shirt as a reward.

They are? That's news to me. We didn't even make t-shirts for the
project. Double checking and .... yup - no shirts. Never offered.
Never even secretly given out.

It looks to me like you got exactly what you purchased. Exactly what
you asked for. Exactly. Every bit of it. And there is no way to
undo that.

What can I say: it seems weird to me that you go onto the lot, pay
for the chevy and expect the keys to the mercedes.

So yes, this is really confusing. It's clear on the kickstarter that
the 4-DVD set is $100. And you are saying that you knowingly did not
pay $100. So I am really struggling to see the problem here.

If everything goes smoothly, we should be selling the shippable 4-DVD
set tomorrow. It will be for a higher price than the kickstarter. A
lot of this is still pretty new to me - so there will probably be some
bugs to be worked out.

I'm glad that you decided to take this public - now so many more
people know about the products that I'm selling, and can see that we
do provide exactly what people pay for. Especially the part where we
really do put people's names into the video for an exceptionally low
price!

The very first DVDs seem to be arriving now. I got mine yesterday.