permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:18:48 -0500

On 11/22/2012 6:41 PM, paul wheaton wrote:

In the meantime, a study has been completed that shows that Sepp
Holzer's techniques will feed 21 billion people without irrigation
or fertilizer.

I don't doubt that for a minute. I shouldn't need to remind everyone that for thousands of years in the orient, cultures have fed people
well from crops grown on mountainside terraces. If they can do that on mountainsides think what they can do on flat land or land on diverse slight grades.

Even I created a system that would radically change the nature of small farming growing a wide variety of food crops including legumes and grasses (rice, upland). The system included, though not tried by me, a network of farms using shared equipment and group, bulk purchases of
soil amendments and other supplies. A real coop, informal, serving the needs of the participating farmers. You can theorize about how "we can feed billions of people using simple, direct low-technology", but Sepp and many others, myself included, have developed methods that can and will accomplish that goal.

An integrated, diverse permaculture systems approach to food production
utilizing networks of farms and gardens working cooperatively is sure to feed large populations.

The food hub business model can be used to get produce to consumers. These, CSA's and other forms of subscription agriculture are increasing in popularity and really work.

People, all of them, simply have to be willing to participate, as doers or consumers, but always contributors, even if it is just offering verbal support encouraging others who have greater responsibility for making the system work and getting product out the door.

Look at Cuba and Asian countries to see traditional, sustainable farming systems that continue to feed large numbers of people year after year.

Once they eat home or community grown produce and meat they will become instant believers. Somehow the production systems need to be put in place with existing ones revived or restored and with steady annual improvement, upgrades and expansion.

Is there a thread or forum on Sepp's ideas about food production at Permies?

LL