permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:50:22 -0000

Toby, you have my vote for world president!

Not only do I see it, I have lived it for over 30 years. 30 years ago when I was a biology student we made a computer model that calculated the carrying capacity of the planet as 2 billion at most. Carrying capacity being sustainably living on the interest of the capital supplied by the planet and most of all sunlight. The reason that we have exploded our numbers is because we have ever faster been eating our capital as well as the interest and huge gobs of the bank infrastructure as well (through the use of subsidary energy, mostly coal and oil).
Every day disasters are being created that will take thousands of years to recover from (Fukushima, BP oil platforms leaking and burning, gmo and roundup, fracking, depleted uranium ammo, etc) and let the planet return to a state of health as it existed 200 years ago. If we keep going as we are for another 20 years I think it highly likely that our species and most other life forms will be extinct in less than 50 years time.
Of course we have the tiger by the tail and if we let go, if we stopped eating the capital and the bank buildings tomorrow we would be lucky if there were 200 million people left alive world wide in 5 years time.

No wonder denial is massive.

John

How about if we don't feed 9 billion people, don't make the inevitable even worse by putting it off yet another 30 years, and instead pay the human cost of not inflicting more ecocide on the planet. The most recent 2.5 billion came from turning oil into food; we're way, way past carrying capacity in a way that adopting a "drill, baby, drill" attitude toward food won't change. More food makes more people. More people increase human impact. That's just physics. Does anyone else see this?

The longer we put off nature's turn to come to bat, the harder she'll swing at us.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com