permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Russia’s small-scale organic agriculture model may hold the key to feeding the world | True Activist

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Russia’s small-scale organic agriculture model may hold the key to feeding the world | True Activist
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:01:39 -0000

Just like Canada. But at least you have a summer there usually with long days of sunshine. Some places of the world have constant rain and low light conditions and massive parts of the world have a serious shortage of water. Very few places are ideal.
It can't all be solved with high efficient LEDs.
john

The article notes that the short growing season presents a challenge.
Maybe this momentum of self-sufficiency could be combined with, say,
greenhouses and modern high efficiency LEDs and they could potentially
become exporters of food...