permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 04:35:23 -0700 (PDT)

Aquaponics is inevitable. It doesn't matter what we think about it, it will
go forward and become more popular. There is good profit potential and it is
super efficient - and relatively easy to do.  I know someone in Hong Kong
that will be creating a skyscraper filled with aquaponics and hydroponics.
Think of the footprint that will be reduced if a densely populated area like
Hong Kong could produce a good chunk of its own food, in the city! They could
bicycle the food to the local shops....With solar energy running pumps and
fish food locally and efficiently grown, you could eliminate petroleum from
the food system in dense cities.

I don't like the factory farm aspect, especially when fish are packed in to
the point of releasing stress hormones. That goes into your food supply. But
overall, aquaponics can reduce so much harm in so many other areas!

As a designer, I think, how can we improve the system? I've seen systems with
worms incorporated, outdoor pond systems, systems with islands of the plants
right in the water, similar to chinampas, etc. Imagination is the only
limitation. I would say the biggest unsustainable factor is the fish food.
The person who develops a relatively easy way to produce no GMO/no chemical
healthy, mineral and nutrient rich fish food in a small space without a huge
amount of work, will be popular!

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow