permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:15:38 -0600

Thank you for this. Its funny that aquaponics, one small practice, generates
so much naysaying. I have seen this often, and the arguments all tend to be
the same: its not natural, or: it cannot be balanced if it is not coming from
soil, and: It is capital intensive. Thank you, Kathryn, for pointing out the
obvious: aquaponics lends itself to extremely localized food systems. No food
miles is a good thing.

Kathryn said: "
> I also question whether a farm that
> grows in soil, but trucks in all its supplies and trucks out all its
> produce, is "better" than someone who raises food via aquaponics in their
> backyard
> with 1/10 the space, 1/10 the water, 1/1000 of the petroleum, and by the
> system design, can't use pesticides or herbicides.

1/10the water use? 1/10th the space? 1/1000th the petroleum use? Can't use
pesticides or herbicides? That sounds pretty good, to me.

Scott asked:
> in this closed system, where does the selenium, calcium and phosphorous
> come
> from?

Perhaps part of the problem you have with aquaponics, Scott, is that you,
like many who naysay, do not understand aquaponics. The system is NOT closed.
You are bringing food to the fish, and taking veggies out. That is a linear
system. The only "closed" aspect is the water. While the water recirculates,
you have inputs in feed, wether you make your own, raise your own or buy
Purina Aquaponics Chow (which IS a problem), and remove herbs, veggies and
fish from the system. Water leaves the fish tank laden with some manure, and
returns filtered by the gravel, bacteria and plant roots, oxygenated.

Amongst its many attributes, one of the ones that impresses me is that it is
highly productive. Joel Malcolm produced over 100 kilograms of veggies and
herbs, over 50 kilograms of fish, in an area 4x8 meters, in six months. That
is a staggering amount of food, in just veggies and herbs, alone. Considering
the fish, thats fantastic.

So, is it balanced? that begs the question: What are you feeding your fish?
If the source of your fish is worms from your land, or black soldier fly
larvae from compost from your land, or from a bug zapper placed over the
tank, or from raised mosquito larvae, or from tadpoles, or from algae, or, if
you are making pellets from egg, rice bran, coconut, moringa leaf, acai
berry, noni, chicken parts (organically grown, and butchered on site), and
the soil that comes from is balanced, then... the mineral content of the fish
manure should be balanced in minerals. The mineral content of your fish dung
is tied to the mineral content of the what you are feeding them.

In an on line evening discussing aquaponics, a group of people came up with
"decaponics", which was a series of energy and nutrient flows built around
aquaponics. There were 10 components. As I recall, in our free for all
design, we penned in rabbits, sheep, a piggery with biogas plant, ducks,
vermicomposting, spirulina production, and some other things. I forget. I
think a bug zapper was over the fish tank. The papers are somewhere. The
point is that aquaponics can be tied into larger things.

In a world of expanding populations, soil depletion and loss of farmland, NOT
considering aquaponics seems to me to be discarding a useful tool. To me,
clearly aquaponics has a role to play.

Again, in a situation, like in an urban setting, or where soils are either
depleted or contaminated, or where inadequate water is available to produce
in soil, producing out of season veggies locally, either from home use or for
commercial use, in a world of increasing costs of transported food,
aquaponics has plenty to offer. It is not THE solution, but, in a nuanced
world, it is A solution. As I mentioned, earlier, having a biological filter
comprised of gravel, bacteria on the gravel, and plant roots, allows for high
stocking densities of fish. High stocking densities of fish being filtered
through bacterially colonized gravel, with plant roots, enables people to
produce veggies with no petroleum miles on them, lots of veggies and fish, in
a small area. The only cost is the initial energy to build the system, and
the electricity to run it, and, of course, the energy to source your feed.

As Kathryn and I have said, aquaponics is one tool to have in your tool kit.
It is not THE answer, but it is a solution to a fairly large set of problems.
I would not relegate soil based agriculture to the dust bin of history,
hahahah, and I still farm a lot of land, over 25 acres, now, a full on food
forest, with over 500 species, but aquaponics has huge potential, and I am
looking forward to working with our system. I intend to add the occasional
cup of compost tea to our system, for fungal communities.

Lastly, Scott, I wasn't going to throw in mangrove. In the last 12 years, I
have done a lot of work for Fisheries Dept installing photovoltaic systems in
seven marine protected areas. Mangrove, like most "edges", is very
productive, in fish and crustaceans, birds. Apart from "coco plum", and "sea
almond", not much food can grow in mangrove, and none can in red mangrove,
which is the species of mangrove that grows directly in salt water, here.
White mangrove and black mangrove prefer sandy soil. Belize has %3.4 of it's
territory in mangrove. That is still %98.7 of its colonial spread. In Belize
mangrove is protected. Its not really a good analogy to chinampa or rice
paddy, as you pointed out. I am not sure why you brought it up.

_____________________________
Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm
San Pedro Columbia, Toledo
PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo
BELIZE,
Central America

Country code 501-630-4386

www.mmrfbz.org
www.facebook.com/MayaMountainResearchFarm

On Oct 7, 2012, at 8:32 PM, KAKerby@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
> question the wisdom of insisting on soil-based agriculture, if aquaponics
> would
> allow families or communities in poor growing areas, to raise their own
> food with a minimum of inputs, and without harsh chemicals. I believe the
>
> politics, economics and ethics of food self reliance trumps the niceties of
>
> saying everyone needs to grow in soil. I also question whether a farm that
>
> grows in soil, but trucks in all its supplies and trucks out all its
> produce, is "better" than someone who raises food via aquaponics in their
> backyard
> with 1/10 the space, 1/10 the water, 1/1000 of the petroleum, and by the
> system design, can't use pesticides or herbicides.
>
> I prefer to think of aquaponics as yet one more tool in the toolbox.
> Everyone has options, some have more options than others. If it's a
> question
> of a family having to go without food, or bring in food from distant
> places
> because their place in the world is poorly situated for growing, then by
> all means encourage them to grow their own, using aquaponics. We're headed
>
> towards 9 billion people on this little marble within most of our
> lifetimes.
> Expanses of rich fertile soil may become quite the luxury, quite soon.
> Kathryn Kerby
> frogchorusfarm.com
> Snohomish, WA USA
>

> In a message dated 10/7/2012 6:53:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> scott@permaculture.org writes:
>
> I too have serious misgivings about aquaponics. It is always presented as
> some kind of perpetual motion machine that provides for all its needs
> within
> the system, which I doubt. I also do not believe that it could possible
> have the nutrients necessary for providing wholesome and nutritious
> foodstuff. We are talking about the primary nutrient source being fish
> dung
> in this closed system, where does the selenium, calcium and phosphorous
> come
> from? The co-evolution of plants with soil organisms and minerals has
> created the human nutrition story and without soil I think the actual
> nutrient content will be woefully inadequate.
>
> I would love to see some data on nutrient content of hydroponic vs soil
> based vegetables.
>
> I would also point out that both the rice paddy system and chinampa systems
> are soil based systems with a lot of water to maintain growth they are not
> by any means hydroponic or aquaponic. You might also throw in the fast
> disappearing mangroves as an example of aquaponics but again you would be
> wrong.
>
> Scott Pittman
> Permaculture Institute USA
>

> "Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
> On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing."

>>> Georg