permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robert Waldrop <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 19:59:41 -0500

Fortunately, this isn't an either-or situation. We don't have to focus on the elite, or the grassroots. Each in the movement/tradition/community/discipline/whatever-it-is-we-are should reach out to their natural constituency. I will never teach a ceo or any elite person. They would never come to someone like me, i am too non-traditional. but i fit in fine with the grassroots, the poor, the marginalized, the rest of us living out here on the edge with our new neighbors who are being pushed this way. i am not qualified to do a pdc on my own yet, but give me another couple of years and that ought to be a reality.

Bob Waldrop
Barking Frogs and Prairie Rose Permaculture, Oklahoma City
http://www.energyconservationinfo.org

"I don't think that an effective way to spread permaculture is to target the poor
or the radicals (although I won't discourage someone from doing that). You only change
one person at a time that way. I think it is far more effective to offer it to policy
makers, universities, planners, CEOs, developers--the elite, if you will."

You are correct that we will disagree, but that is exactly what I was saying
about old and new paradigms. Your approach simply doesn't seem to have much
chance of working because we are so close to large bifurcations in all
domains. Virtually all those you are speaking of, and to, have no sense at
all that collapse is a possibility, so they *cannot* come up with the
solutions except by accident. They don't understand sustainability because
they don't understand 2nd Law implications.