permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:34:37 -0600

Here is what I've seen in regards to where permaculture is effective...
I've seen eco-hippie projects fail miserably.
I've seen grand multi-million dollar permaculture projects fail miserably.
I've seen small well-thought out backyard permaculture projects fail as
well.
In the same breath I have to say I have seen all manner of projects succeed
too.
It all depends on the people involved, it's the invisible structures that
tend to make or break designs!
How about everybody work where they are comfortable and take care of things
they know how to take care of?
My advice: If you are working from a standpoint of saving the world, you
better check out your internal invisible structures. The world will spiral
out of control in a nanosecond regardless of what you do. Have we all been
so sheltered from tragedy that we can't see that. Death comes in a
lightening flash. Why then do this good work of permaculture? For me I see
no better way to spend my life than to care for the Earth and care for
people no matter their current (and by that I mean fleeting) economic
situation. My quality of life is improved because I live out the connection
between my small self and the larger life ecosystem. From this perspective
does it really matter if you work with a corporate CEO or a homeless
shelter? These issues are not permacultural so to speak they are life
issues that people have grappled with for millenia.
Take care out there,
Jason