permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:25:02 -0700

On Oct 24, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Killian O'Brien wrote:

> That there are going to be very large disruptions is, to me, no longer in
> doubt.

Total agreement there, Killian. I'm lightening up, staying mobile, trying to
get ready.

> Thus, the correct tack is away from the power structures for their ability
> to create change in chaotic times will be virtually nil.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by power structures. Large gov't,
corporations, Wall Street, etc? Yes, they are approaching uselessness and
will do damage as they fall, so get away from them. But more traditional ways
of decision-making, having credentials, local experts, small gov't by
councils, and the like? I think these things will be relied upon more than
ever. When times are uncertain, people first move toward what they know best
(hence the flight to gold even though no one really has a use for it). I
don't think that it was a coincidence that the new tools like consensus, open
space, world cafe, etc, got developed during the relative calm and prosperity
of the 80s and 90s. But I think it's anyone's guess whether they will work in
enough varied conditions for people to be willing to rely on them in times of
chaos.

> But, there should be people working in those arenas now just in case.

We need a very broad toolbox. We're in agreement there. I don't think we
disagree over much, just maybe on how to express it. But I look forward to
anything more you write, as it's very thought provoking.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com