permaculture - Re: [permaculture] civility,, respect and reputation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] civility,, respect and reputation
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

"why are young people(not only young people) genuinely disturbed at
an occupying military force, with a deeply dodgy reputation for civilian
wellbeing, teaching permaculture to a civilisation older than most
western civilisations, in a geographical region where historically the
local people are/were famed for their beautiful gardens, poetry, and
self sufficiency?"

This is actually quite ironic isn't it? Your statement was beautifully put,
it truly brings out the deep irony of the situation.

I see so many aspects of irony in so much of permaculture. Should I be at
Pine Ridge right now, teaching permaculture to Lakota? Some feel I should not
be. But the Lakota who welcome me are taking permaculture, making it their
own, adding their own strength of culture and knowledge to it, and using it
to forward their cultural and economic wellbeing. And I'm learning as much
from them as they are learning from me. Which is the whole point.

It might be interesting to hear from some of the National Guardsmen that
Scott trained, especially to hear what they have learned from their
experience. Have they been touched by the beauty of this culture? Are they
learning anything from the Afganis? The 25 Army vet we just trained in our
Pine Ridge PDC did learn from the cultures he interacted with. He learned
from taking a PDC at Pine Ridge instead of some other location, and was
deeply touched by it - so much so he went through a qdeep emotional
experience after the course (which I won't get into further to respect his
privacy). He is having no choice but to change his views on some things, and
who knows where that will lead? I feel it is my responsibility to continue to
help people like him and others from "mainstream" (or any other stream) to
make it all the way through a paradigm shift to a much healthier way of
operating and viewing the world. And I continue working on my own paradigm
shift.

This conversation has hopefully been food for thought for all of us and I
appreciate all the different viewpoints that have been expressed.