permaculture - Re: [permaculture] civility,, respect and reputation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] civility,, respect and reputation
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

It's a simplistic view. Some of the members of the Taliban have gone out of
their way to destroy the beauty and suppress the knowledge of ancient
cultures. Some members of our armed forces come from equally ancient,
civlized cultures in the Americas, Africa, Middle East, Orient, etc. To
suggest that all of people of Afghanistan are somehow morally, spiritually,
culturally, etc, superior to everybody in our armed forces is a simplistic
view. Individual elements can make a huge difference in any system, and it
has always been individuals, not groups, who have spearheaded the most
dramatic changes in human systems as well (Gandhi, etc).

Permaculturists, of all people, should not be viwing the world through black
and white lenses. The world is full of nuance, color, intricate connections,
complexities, and gray areas. What if just one of those National Guardsmen
has an epiphany as result of the course, and he touches someone in
Afghanistan, and meaningful, positive changes for hundreds of people, or even
more, are made?

It is fine to be bothered by the US Army going in and trying to tell an
ancient culture how to operate. I get that point very well. But it is not the
only issue being considered - there are far more nuances and energies to the
situation. I get bothered by imperial attitudes of armed forces (not assuming
that is happening with this particular National Guard outfit, it sounds like
it is not from wht Scott has said) for the same reason I get bothered by
someone who knows nothing about a project trying to tell those on the ground
dealing with it what is wrong with what they are doing. When you are on the
ground dealing with the complexities and realness of the situation, things
almost never appear in black and white morality.

Cory