permaculture - Re: [permaculture] an expression of- civility, respect and (regard for) reputation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] an expression of- civility, respect and (regard for) reputation
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,

I have no issue with anything you've said here and respect your expression.
Perhaps you will at some point be able to look at why and how I found the
post I was responding to offensive.

You may be surprised to hear that I've read Jensen and others like him
thoroughly, have spent 20 years as an activist, and understand very well the
radical approach to things. Been there, done that. I am in no way suggesting
it is a bad thing or undesirable. We all have our paths and there is a place
for that one. My point is that there is a place for paths outside of
radicalism as well.

You have continued to make assumptions about where I and others are coming
from, before taking the time to get to know much about us. Most of us have
made that error, I am certainly prone to it at times, but I try not to do
that, and that has been my main point, and something that hasn't really been
acknowledged (if it has, I missed it which is very possible).

I know quite a few young people who are more liberal than radical - I know
more liberal young people than radical. And I know quite a few elders who are
still radical. Not all young people approach things as you do, Kevin.

Diversity in the system is a good, healthy thing. What I'm seeking is
tolerance for viewpoints and approaches to regenerating the system outside of
one's own paradigm. Kevin, I wish you great success with your approach to
healing the world, and I hope you can do the same for me.

I've been working with governments and "aid" organizations in Haiti to
regenerate that area, but I will not be taken in by "disaster capitalists" or
other unhealthy, vested interests. I am thoroughly aware of their modus
operendi and why it is not sustainable. Because I'm willing to interface with
these organizations instead of isolating myself, I feel I have more of a
chance to prevent things from going in that direction. I would hope that my
fellow permauclturists would not try to interfere with or publicly diss what
I'm doing without first trying to find out exactly what it is, and what the
results are. On the other hand, I have no problem with people who choose to
avoid those systems entirely and strictly work outside of them.

We each have our way of doing and seeing things, and I say, Vive la
difference.

Best, Cory