permaculture - Re: [permaculture] civility,, respect and reputation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] civility,, respect and reputation
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:12:18 -0700 (PDT)

This is a generality that I am uncomfortable with and haven't personally
observed to be true. I know plenty of young people who are narrow minded and
stuck into some paradigm or other. And plenty of older people who are willing
to question anything and everything and have been doing so for decades,
working through quite a lot of ideas, experiences, etc, in the process. They
are quite, quite interesting people to talk to.

True observation of a system, as in permaculture design, entails setting
aside preconceptions. One of the exercises I do with my students is to have
them observe unfamiliar things without attempting to impose their assumptions
or paradigms or preconceptions about it. This is an equally difficult
exercise for both young and old, except for those who have already practiced
doing that.

I do understand that it can seem that some older people have become much more
"fixed" in their ways. I enjoy interacting with young people because they
have not committed to a paradigm and aren't so fixed, in some cases. I think
there is something to be said for both sides, but I don't like the
generalities as that becomes stereotyping so easily - the idea that older
people can't change their minds or think outside the box, etc, is certainly
as fixed and narrow a paradigm as any I've heard expressed.

Best, Cory