permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cuba | revised post

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cuba | revised post
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:54:21 -0400

Hot news about Cuba!

I fear the influx of foreign corporate investment and foreign government
influence.
I say: keep all of the above out of Cuba until the Cubans themselves
selectively allow
certain of these to participate in their country's infrastructure.

For the "new" Cuba I propose a permaculture economy or perhaps a political and economic system that mirrors the principles and methods of the most basic teachings of permaculture, ever co-evolving through synergy amongst the participants.

I propose a single party political system in a small country divided into political districts based on the bioregion concept and bio-eco-geographic characteristics. Everyone participates in this system of government that is of, by and for the citizens of Cuba. It is a progressive democratic form of government with a constitution and bill of rights. It will have a president, a presidential cabinet, departments and department heads and an assembly or congress of representatives from each political district. Everyone votes for the national candidates and for their own district's candidates. This is a supremely well-informed citizenry, knowledgeable about, involved with and interested in how their country is run and who runs it.

Pull out all the stops. Start with basics. Turn Cuba into a model permaculture system and one of permacultural stewardship of its people, its land and natural resources. Become independent and self-sufficient with reduced, and in some cases, eliminated external inputs. Develop a sustainable food production system to feed the people, store and export the surplus. Establish technical, cultural, academic exchange and foreign aid and assistance programs with foreign countries, developed and under developed. Become, as a country, a world class resource that other nations will look to as a model of sustainability, fairness and stewardship. Become a world leader in sustainable technologies, renewable energy, energy-efficient architecture and regenerative food production. Sustain and preserve the art and music of Cuba as the national treasure it is.

This is a one party political system that rewards its citizens with elected officials, who are...just other citizens, but ones with vision and foresight, motivation and committment to serve the needs of their country, bring it into the twenty first century and ensure the participation, interest and involvement of every person in the functioning and future of their country.

Someone told me that Plato proposed a modular system similar to this for regions of limited size, one that could be replicated throughout a country. I would be interested in what anyone else has to say about this concept.

...:LL