permaculture - [permaculture] Cuba | Re: Enough!!!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Cuba | Re: Enough!!!
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:35:25 -0400

On 9/15/2010 12:18 AM, danmk wrote:

Personally, I am interested in generating a "political economy". We
have the tools to design one, and it's a lacking that is bothering me
as I learn and work with permaculture concepts day to day.

A political economy. Maybe a permaculture economy or perhaps a political and
economic system
that mirrors the principles and methods of the most basic teachings of
permaculture, ever co-evolving
through synergy amongst the participants.

Hot news about Cuba!

I fear the influx of foreign corporate investment and foreign government
influence.
I say: keep all of the above out of Cuba until the Cubans themselves
selectively allow
certain of these to participate in their country's infrastructure.

I propose a single party system in a small country divided into political
districts
based on the bioregion concept and bio-eco-geographic characteristics.
Everyone participates in this system of government that is of, by and for the
citizens of Cuba.
It is a progressive democratic form of government with a constitution and
bill of rights.
It will have a president, a presidential cabinet, departments and department
heads and an assembly
or congress of representatives of each political district. Everyone votes for
the national candidates
and for their own district's candidates. This is a supremely well-informed
citizenry, knowledgeable
about, involved with and interested in how their country is run and who runs
it.

Pull out all the stops. Start with basics. Turn Cuba into a model
permaculture system and permacultural
stewardship of its people and its land and natural resources. Become
independent and self-sufficient
with reduced, and in some cases, eliminated external inputs. Develop a
sustainable food production system
to feed the people, store and export the surplus. Establish technical, cultural, academic exchange and foreign aid and assistance programs with foreign countries, developed and under developed. Become, as a country, a world class resource that other nations will look to as a model of sustainability, fairness and stewardship. Become a world leader in sustainable technologies and food production.

This is a one party political system that rewards its citizens with elected
officials, who are...just other citizens,
but ones with vision and foresight, motivation and committment to serve the needs of their country, bring it into the twenty first century and ensure the participation, interest and involvement of every person in the functioning and future of their country.

Someone told me that Plato proposed a modular system similar to this for regions of limited size, one that could be replicated throughout a country. I would be interested in what anyone else has to say about this concept.

...:LL