permaculture - Re: [permaculture] walnuts from seed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jay Woods <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] walnuts from seed
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 05:43:39 -0500

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 06:24:27 pm Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
> What little literature I've seen suggests that walnuts will come true
> from seed, regardless of the parent's rootstock.

The type of walnut you get from seed isn't affected by the rootstock.

> Does anyone know
> for sure if this is the case? Also, is there any reason why regular
> old walnuts at the grocery store wouldn't germinate? I would assume
> those would be superior cultivars.

The grocery store seed is quite often old and has been dried at a high
temperature. It is seldom viable. When it is viable, the parent has been
cloned through many copies and is quite often genetically damaged.
The seed will not be true to type. The walnuts will usually be smaller,
the tree will have light harvests, and the tree will be sensitive to
winter cold.

If walnuts are suitable to your area, there should be a seedling tree
around somewhere to get seed from. This way you will have a much
better idea what the walnuts will be like.