permaculture - Re: [permaculture] walnuts from seed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] walnuts from seed
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 18:12:30 +0000

Tripp-

My Mother lives in Ojai, Ca and has an old english walnut orchard on her
property. They are grafted onto native black walnut rootstocks. Seedlings
come up and they seem to be pretty much the same as the english parent.
There are more english than balck walnuts around her area nowadays so any
sexual crossing would be from mostly english parentage.

I have never seen them fruit (as they often get pulled out before they mature
as her yard is too small to accomodate many more walnut trees)- though I have
seen "wild" english walnut seedlings fruiting in waste areas. Walnuts are
monoecious- meaning both male and female flowers are borne on the same tree,
and can self pollinate.

Grafted trees are precocious (fruit readily) because the scion wood is often
mature and has the memory of fruiting, and will fruit soon after taking. A
seedling often takes many many more years to fruit than a graft or cutting
from a mature tree.

You could try to grow out some black walnut seeds and then graft your
favorite variety onto that. Also black walnuts are quite tasty, being much
more oily than english. The shells are pretty thick though.

Seeds from the supermarket will likely be dead and not have great
germination, though if you could get some fresh from the farmers market those
will probably work.
Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com