permaculture - Re: [permaculture] US National Permaculture Conference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] US National Permaculture Conference
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 05:09:58 -0500

Andrew McSwain wrote:

. The power structures and information systems of our culture are not
centralized on a regional basis, they are, after all, national, and it is
for this reason that I believe we should still consider the idea of having a
national conference even if only for gathering together to exchange
techniques, ideas; form relationships; and the likes. I think the carbon
that is burned arriving at the location is a necessary investment toward the
elimation of it's use.
<...>
In the mean time I think that it's even better still to take this group and
create a wiki or something.. some sort of collaborative database that takes
all of the rediscovered regional folk-knowledge and ingenious techniques and
compiles them in one place that anyone in the world can easily access and
draw from.

If someone hasn't already done it, we should do it within the month.
Websites are cheap to run and wiki's don't consume a lot of bandwidth. This
could be up in a month easily.

Does anyone here have experience with wikis and social networking
technologies?

This is a concept that I have been working to popularize for years. You have exactly described my ideas and reasons for creating an interactive online resource to host a permaculture knowledgebase and a comprehensive permaculture information system with a diversity of resources that meets the needs of this growing and global community.

This says it all:
"some sort of collaborative database that takes all of the rediscovered regional folk-knowledge and ingenious techniques and compiles them in one place that anyone in the world can easily access and draw from"

The system is already in place. All we need to do is use it. It needs a lot of work by editors and administrators to prune, refine and reorganize the data structure of this wiki.

http://www.permaculture.info
hosted by ibiblio
domain owned by the Permaculture Institute (Scott Pittman's organization)

The software is MediaWiki, same as is used by the Wikipedia.
There are lots of tools, plugins, patches, security features available for this software. It is fun to use and very satisfying. This is way better (but very different) than the equivalent in a blog. It is also very easy to add a blog and forums (which many like) to this Wiki, at its home location, the primary choices being Wordpress for the blog and BBPress for the forums, all of which can be thoroughly integrated into the wiki. Perhaps it needs a new name. I like Permaculture Knowledgebase and Encyclopedia, befitting the domain, permaculture.info.

As for me, I have some administrative and editorial experience to contribute to this project, am familiar with Mediawiki and can install Wordpress and BBPress.

In what ways are you interested in working on this project?

LL