permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:41:04 -0600

Well I live in a community which is mostly commons we own our house
footprint and the rest is in commons which is held in a non-profit which
means no property tax which is a huge vulnerability in hard times.

There are plenty of commons right now ie the national parks, and forests,
the BLM lands, almost anything with the prefix "public" on it. The problem
is that the government has become so convoluted that it is no longer of the,
by the, and for the people. So we have a government that now owns the
commons and treats it as if it can be sold to the lowest bidder.

I have to disagree about it being "awhile" unless you are talking about
within the next ten years. I believe that our only hope is a bioregionalism
that reinstitutes the commons and community enterprises to replace those
lost through petroleum energy decline. Time to learn harness making!

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute