permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:25:34 -0500

Hi Margaret, Yes, a person does not have to go far to find the person
who does not want to live cooperatively, many times it's the person you
call blood who misuses the land, house, coffee cup,

I had a couple who lived below me several years, renting from me, the
woman is from Bulgaria and after some childhood years in Africa and
elsewhere she spent formative years in Bulgaria living communally,
because of the culture, the cold weather, the low cost of living, but
few jobs and limited work. Farming, regular baking, borrowing and
returning. The ethics she learned and transferred to all of us who have
been exposed to her, her husband, best friend, me, my housemate-brother
etc is amazing, I used to live sort of like that at 18 in Chicago,
during my formative years-all of us shared a bathroom in our building
and it was never dirty! (our landlord's son was the worst behaved person
in the building) I ride public transportation gleefully having been
exposed to it early on.
Anyway, perhaps some cultural changes in America are so gradual, people
tell me they have never ridden in a bus, when I stayed in a cheap motel
in Houston on a trip and took the city bus, my family member appalled
the older generation by saying I was staying in a sleazy motel. Cultural
cheap=sleazy?
Own vs rent
Own vs share
Own vs borrow
Any ideas in this discussion on how to introduce this? Several branches
of North American Indians talked about this and died talking about it.
Give us some ideas those of you who are trying to live more communally.
Are people in general frozen to one way of living? Is it fear? Think
back, why did you not join a commune, why did I not join a commune?
Am I able at this age to adjust to change? Many humans are forced to
change, immigres from war torn countries, it's happening today, are we
ready to absorb these people into our existing groups? America in
general is not known for this attribute,
Trudie