permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:22:30 -0500

Actually, the timing of the protests is totally because of the
Olympics. That's the point, eh? And yes, the athletes really have a
moral imperative to boycott the games -- you can't seriously mean that
some stupid sports are more important than the suffering and oppression
of the Tibetans???
Frankly, considering what all is going on in the world, I really
don't think we can afford the time, money, and energy spent on spectator
sports anymore. Think of what the cost of GHG are for putting on this
Olympics!

Charles de Matas wrote:
> In ancient Greece warring city states suspended their disputes in order to
> participate in the Olympic Games. Presumably when the games were over they
> went back to killing each other. I think that the protestors in Tibet
> should wait until the Olympics are over to do their protesting. It's not
> fair to the athletes who have trained for 4 years to have to be distracted
> by all of these political issues. In the past athletes have even been
> killed while participating in the games. I'm sure that the organizers of
> the games would want the Olympics to be a time of peace, and a universal
> ceasefire. The problems in Tibet are not going to be solved overnight.
> They can wait a few months. Charles.

Harmon Seaver