permaculture - Re: [permaculture] China & Tibet BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Vietnam war photojournalist, Philip Jones Griffiths, dies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] China & Tibet BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Vietnam war photojournalist, Philip Jones Griffiths, dies
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:35:08 -0400

J. Kolenovsky wrote:

Those G D Chinese need to leave those Tibetans alone before Higher Power
steps in.

"I wanted to show that the Vietnamese were people the Americans should be
emulating rather than destroying."

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Vietnam war photojournalist, Philip Jones Griffiths,
dies
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7305468.stm>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/in_pictures_philip_jones_griffiths_/img/7.jpg
Many of Griffiths’ photographs focus on the effect the war had on the civilian population. Speaking to the BBC in 2005 he said , "I wanted to show that the Vietnamese were people the Americans should be emulating rather than destroying."

Following the Vietnam War Griffiths worked in more than 120 countries
including Grenada following the US invasion in 1983.

Philip Jones Griffiths often returned to Vietnam and in 2005 he published "Viet Nam at Peace" a 25 year study exploring the long term consequences of the war.

In a statement the current president of Magnum Photos said: "Philip enriched all our lives with his courage, his empathy, his passion, his wit and his wisdom; and for many he gave to photojournalism its moral soul." Photo of Philip Jones Griffiths by John Giannini.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/in_pictures_philip_jones_griffiths_/img/11.jpg

Griffiths’ pictures captured American soldiers struggling to survive in often hostile territory. His colleague at Magnum, Henri Cartier-Bresson, said of his work, "not since Goya has anyone portrayed war like Philip Jones Griffiths."