permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

Linda et al.,

I absolutely agree, this is not a war between Tibet and China. That was 58
years
ago when 40,000 battle-hardened troops of the Chinese army overrun Tibet
killing
most of the badly equipped men of the 8,000 strong Tibetan army.

What we are talking about is genocide and the question of whether we are
going
to condone genocide by participating in the Beijing Olympics like the World
participated in Hitler's Olympics in 1936.

What we are talking about too is the fact that China was awarded the
Olympics
on the condition that it respect human rights and freedom of press. Both are
being violated by the Chinese authorities more than ever:

All foreign journalists and tourists have been expelled from Tibet and
other regions
where Tibetans live so that the Chinese security forces can go on killing
unarmed
civilians without any witnesses. Thousands of protesters have been
imprisoned
without trial. In Beijing, people are put on trial behind closed doors for
having
expressed their opinion on the Internet like we do it all the time. Each
one of us
would be in prison if we were Chinese.

China is perpetrating one genocide in Tibet while sponsoring another
genocide in
Darfur/Sudan to secure badly needed oil supplies.

This will be the Genocide Olympics.
Happy and fair games to all who have the stomach to face it.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au> wrote:
Wait a few months - they've been waiting for decades... every time they try
to get news out to the world about what is happening there, they get
slaughtered, as is happening now.

If the Tibetans do not get an international hearing now ie. while China has
international focus and may be feeling slightly pressured politically through
hosting the Olympics then they have no chance - as they have had for over 50
years. Warring states are very different to ethnic cleansing don't you think.

This attitude of

'the poor athletes have trained so hard for this, lets support them'

as opposed to

'the Tibetans have been killed and tortured and had their basic human rights
denied for over 50 years, lets support them'

highlights one of the real issues in our world. Athletes/sports people (and
actors and singers also) are considered more important than everyone else -
we make them out as kings and have all news taken over by their concerns -
while the real world and real issues are swept under the rug.

South Africa only shifted their policies because of international pressure,
with sports being a major factor. China has so much power we watch all the
world leaders acquiesce to their requests because they don't want 'trade' to
be affected. The Olympics is the only chance for the Tibetans. They need a
chance, and they need our support.

Linda