permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Boycott the Olympics ....
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 05:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

Michael,

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Is it that we don't have a
voice anyway, then - why vote? - why express disagreement at massacre
repression and genocide? - why boycott goods or the games if we can get
a bargain from slave labour or some fun from the games? never mind those
that are being killed or are in prison, I can't do anything anyways! Who
cares if I make the right choice? Nobody is going to notice anyway!

If so, then why bother about healing the soil or about permaculture? Why
make an effort to grow food without poison? What is the point in creating
a garden for a few years before the next guy is going to drown it in
pesticides,
herbicides and so on. What difference does our little quarter acre plot
make
when compared to those millions and millions of acres that are
systematically
destroyed by the agrochemical industry? Who is even going to notice a few
extra earthworms in our garden?

To feel compassionate about soil and nature while at the same time showing
indifference at the suffering of our fellow human beings just does not
square.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Michael <mike.brian@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't even know anybody who even cares about the olympics, yet...
enough people do, apparently. To me, boycotting (& voting, I suppose)
seems like the new 'opiate of the masses'. Right now, without realizing
it, someone on this list is boycotting, uh, ... a Paris Hilton concert.
Does it really change anything? I think competition is great, when it
produces something valuable - the winner makes a solution and the losers
gain experience so that they don't even lose. Why don't they get
together and compete about something that matters if they have so much
damn energy.

--
Loose bits sink chips.

Google command to search archives: