permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cornmeal cakes, was Re: This must be a hoax

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cornmeal cakes, was Re: This must be a hoax
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:12:19 -0500

Robert Waldrop wrote:

I thought it was about time for a change in the subject line.

Yes, my whole ground organic cornmeal has all of nature's goodness. It's sad that that is such an unusual concept these days. It's like it's a different substance from store bought cornmeal.

My basic corn cake recipe is . . .

1 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
yogurt
hot water

Mix the dries. Add enough yogurt to make a nice thick batter. This is about 1/2 cup, depending on the humidity and the amount of moisture in the corn meal. (My yogurt comes from a local dairy farm with an all grass fed, free ranging herd.) Then add maybe 1/4 cup hot water. Let the batter site for about 15 minutes. fry in hot oil.

The version without egg is the same, only no egg, and add more water so it is a bit runny, and add more oil to the pan you fry them in. I "discovered" it one morning when I forgot to add an egg.

You can add flavoring accoutrements. Minced onion is good, as is habanero salsa and minced garlic. Shredded carrots. Ground bean powder.

These are delicious hot off the griddle or the next day. I always try to make extra but they never last.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City

Thanks, Bob. I've been on the lookout for your recipe.
I tried a variant on the cornmeal pancakes tonight:

added one egg as in previous recipe
organic cornmeal
modest amount of Bob's baking powder
sea salt
molasses (semi blackstrap, organic)
Bob's flaxseed meal
food yeast (flaked yellow nutritional yeast, sold in bulk at Whole Foods)
organic soy milk
organic canola oil
fair amount of organic sesame tahini

These turned out ..... PERFECT and were delicious, fully cooked

The Bob's baking powder has the usual BP ingredients plus baking soda.
I use cold soy milk instead of yoghurt and hot water.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net