permaculture - Re: [permaculture] This must be a hoax

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] This must be a hoax
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:16:31 EST

Another global pandemic will very likely happen at some time or another. The
odds are it won't happen this year or next year. But when and if it does,
public health services will be overwhelmed, food, batteries and other
supplies
will disappear from the shelves overnight and you may have to do without
electricity or gas for a while.

I live in an area where hurricanes occasionally hit, and there is the threat
of a nuclear meltdown at the plant a few miles away. So we locals believe we
have two choices:

1) Do nothing. Live your lives heedlessly. When something happens, pray
fervently; or

2) Stockpile three or four weeks worth of canned or boxed food. Rotate your
stocks so it doesn't get old. If your well is on an electric pump, put up a
couple of barrels of water. Keep a first aid kit well stocked. Maintain
stocks of
batteries, a flashlight or two, a radio and a battery powered television.
Consider purchasing a generator. Keep your gas tanks topped off, always above
half full.

If you do these simple things and nothing happens, you haven't put yourself
out that much. But if you don't do them, disaster strikes and you have to
live
on your own for a week, you're really going to feel stupid.

Mike Elvin