permaculture - Re: [permaculture] This must be a hoax

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] This must be a hoax
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:38:03 -0500

Robert Waldrop wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>

On the positive side I finally figured out how to make good cornpones out of natural ingredients w/o wheat or dairy.
That's what I call real progress.

I'd like to see a recipe for this!

Bob Waldrop, OKC

Had to make sure about some of the recipes before replying, Bob.
I have encountered astounding success with corn pones (big thick heavy
flat cake like crackling bread) and what we call down here cornmeal
batter cakes, or thin panpone.

1) corn pones can be made in an oiled cast iron skillet or in an oven.
For the latter I use a Kitchenaid Counter Top Oven, cheaper to run than a
stove oven and is the very best of all the
home appliance toaster ovens. I use the pan with rack covered in aluminum
foil on which I put the made up pone dough.
Ingredients:
conventional old fashioned organic yellow corn meal
soy milk
seasonings of all sorts plus some salt
organic canola oil
flax seed meal (Bob's Red Mill Organic - keep it refrigerated)
Bob's Red Mill non-aluminum double acting Baking Powder
mix the dry ingredients
mix the wet ingredients
add the dry to the wet and make up into a stiff batter that will stick to
your fingers
form into pones and put on the foil on the rack in the pan and put into the
toaster oven
at about 350 degrees on bake until done (maybe 25 minutes or more)
- Alternatively put the formed pones onto a heavily oiled cast iron griddle
preheated but not smoking;
brown one side then flip and brown the other
- The ones cooked in the oven are less greasy but drier and maybe do not have as much flavor - these would be good with added sweetener for desert cakes
2) corn meal batter cakes
- same recipe as above but add one egg and more soy milk - make into a nice
slurry that will almost pour
- spoon it onto the preheated heavily oiled griddle into puddles the size
desired, flatten them down a bit and cook
until one side is tan with crisp edges then flip and do the other side until
done but not overdone or brown -
they will cook all the way through and you will see evidence of rising in the
air holes throughout the cakes
--- I made some of these tonight for the first time and they turned out
PERFECT - I did not measure anything.

Served them with tofu, turnip greens from the garden, more cakes with organic
molasses for desert,
all with coffee and orange juice.

LL
--