permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marjory" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:50:18 -0500

Hello,

Toby, there many many scenarios going forward where growing you own food, or
most of it (and trading what you can) is the only way you will get to eat.
This thread was origionally started with Tommy exprssing the dire situation
our collective is in. The food supply system is unbelivably fragile: we
have probably passed peak food production near or before we passed peak oil
in 2004. In Tommy's area, a progressive city like Austin, the amount of
locally grown food is perhaps 3%-5% (I am being generous). The rest comes
from an average of 1200 miles away and is highly dependant on oil -
regardless of conventional or organic farming.

Has anyone seen the latest grain reserves report? Last year we were down to
some 60 days of consumption or something like that. A very scary figure
with continuing drought and more grains being used to make feul rather than
food.

If you are planning an eco-city and depending on 'the farmers' to feed you,
hah. Good Luck. Remeber the r[rinciple of starting small and working from
a controlled front. I was deeply shocked to find in my area that there
weren't any famrers to network together to create a local food system to
supply a local community, so we back-tracked all the way to offering
gardening classes to beginners.

Yes, I have found many in the pc community coming across like growing all
the food you need is easy. And, none of those people, some of whom are
teachers, have actual experience. It takes a tremenedous amount of effort
and focus. With our world running on just-in-time delivery, there isn't any
time built in to learn this, nor do I know how many people would be willing
to make the necessary changes to thier lifestyle. Perhaps starvation is a
powerful motivator.

Anyway, I need to get back tot he orchard and garden.

Sincerely wishing everyone a bountiful harvest.

Marjory