permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:51:41 -0700

Marjory wrote:
The US became a NET IMPORTER of food in 2005. Please see http://www.agonist.org/node/10568/print for the full article.
Nope, the US is still a net food exporter. The article cited was a prediction from a left-wing website, and it didn't come true. Gotta watch those predictions! The real numbers, from the USDA are:

2005 Agricultural exports, in billions: $63.18 Imports: $59.3
2006 Exports: $70.9 Imports: $65.3
2007 through May, Exports: $33.0 Imports: $30.3
Source: USDA Economic Research Service,
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FATUS/monthlysummary.htm

But I'm well aware that the US has a very stupid food system. No denying that.
There have been studies done for the local Austin area which indicated that providing the caloric needs for that city will be very, very, very, very difficult.
It would be nice to see a citation. The Cornell study I cited was at
http://crops.confex.com/crops/viewHandout.cgi?uploadid=226

"there are not enough farmers in the entire DFW (Dallas Fort Worth) area to meet the needs of even one elementary school cafeteria"
That's very sad. Several schools in Portland have regular days in which most of the cafeteria food comes from the school garden; we don't even need to go to one of the many local farms.

But regardless, I've always thought that building large cities in the desert is stupid. Dallas-Fort Worth is a nightmare, as are Phoenix, Tucson,. Las Vegas, etc. Humans have created large settlements in desert regions before, but I do think the SW US has overdone it substantially. I can see why if you lived in a desert megalopolis you'd be pretty worried.

Toby