permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is permaculture easy? (was Peak Oil)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:32:24 -0700 (PDT)

To be clear, there is much confusion on the numbers published for oil
production. First, there are several information sources, including: IEA and
EIA. To add to the confusion, none of them define their terms the same way;
many report "total liquids", which includes Natural Gas Liquids, plus the
usual Crude and Condensate. The "total liquids" peak stands around 84-86
million barrels per day. Debate against the concept of Peak Oil usually
involves production "potential" total liquids, which is effectively opinion.

In fact, the Crude + Condensate has declined since November 2005 (note the
price). What we should remain as the alarming statistics should be the
export market. The big three exporters - Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Norway -
account for a significant portion of the expected production increases.
Norway has the most reliable statistics and has failed to increase
production, due to less than expected production. Nobody really knows why
Russian and Saudi exports have been declining, but Saudi Arabia claims global
inventories have been "oversupplied".

The export market becomes more significant when we remember that these
exporting nations have a surplus of a resource, so increase their use of it.
As their production hits "unexpected" snags and declines, the exports decline
at the combined rate of domestic growth of consumption plus the decline rate.
Major exporters tend to become importers within just a few years (UK for
example).

There could be oil pumped for hundreds of years, but the question will be how
quickly the top consumers will have to cut their consumption to match the
export markets. When depends on which country you live and the strength of
your currency. The USA is in deep fertilizer (sub-prime scandal causing
currency to plummet, combined with a 30% dependency on export markets).

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2716

-Sean.
Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com> wrote: I frequent "The Oil Drum"
website often and 20-40 years to be the consensus among some very savvy
oil-industry and Peak-Oil people who write there. It's a very rational site,
mostly. But we're talking at much, much higher prices than we pay now. I
didn't mean that it will be enough to satisfy demand or pump as much as we
are pumping today. Just that oil isn't going to be out of the mix for a while
yet. It sounds like we could pump about 30 million barrels per day by 2040
instead of
the 90 million we pump now, at least in some of their scenarios. About 1960
levels, if I remember my numbers right.

Toby