permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Peak Oil -

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Peak Oil -
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:53:35 -0500

Hi, Marjory,
Most curse me for my honesty, rather than thank me. Thank you for changing that. I would be overjoyed to have twenty years to get things turned around. The neocons have a US military base in every oil-bearing region of the world now. I think you're probably correct about getting all the oil out of Earth. It won't nearly all come out.
This civilization was over at the Great Depression, when we overshot our ecosystem's support capacity with one hundred million people. It just had enough money to buy this much time with ghost acreage. That's a sad thing, really. We'd be a lot better off if it had gone away then. As it is, we have to deal with its fall. I planted a food forest before and it fed us (not completely) after only two years. I just don't want to live that way while all that's good about the US people goes away. I think we are going to see an ecocity in Austin. We're at work on preparing our Power Point presentation to an interested business owner who has a good site for the first ecocity center. New Agers demand optimism. I don't buy it, either. It's going to be a hard, hard, hard road. Most won't survive. We just have to evolve ourselves enough to grieve in real time and go on with the work of building a new future with whatever we have at our disposal. The alternative is not acceptable.

Smiles.
Tommy Tolson
Austin, TX