permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Peak Oil -

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Peak Oil -
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:34:48 -0700

Marjory wrote:
It is dammned hard to get one of those remote
farms up and functioning, much less a small community, and I sincerely doubt
eco cities will emerge. I think one of the major failings of permaculture
is the false optimism it engenders.
In what way does permaculture engender false optimism? I've never heard anyone say that it's easy to set up an ecovillage. Quite the opposite. Oh, Mollison and others talk about how easy it is to grow a lot of food and they sound pretty optimistic about gardening, but my experience is, that's true. But a community? I don't see anything in any Pc literature saying communities are easy to create, and most instructors I know point out how much work and luck is involved. So if you're going to accuse Pc of a "major failing," I''m curious to know the basis for the accusation.

Toby