permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BodyPolictic-Political Humor-Congress Votes to Outsource Pres

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BodyPolictic-Political Humor-Congress Votes to Outsource Pres
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:19:30 -0700 (PDT)

Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net> wrote:My point is that those
preaching the non-political path avoid politics no more than anyone else. You
don't avoid politics when you

Well said. I use an assessment of control mechanisms to make my own
judgments. I like to put slack in the rope to observe intent. After seeing
a person lay down traps and take up my bait, I start setting my own traps.

In a positive direction, we should always begin with personal responsibility.
From there we must test each proposal with the three ethics.

For instance, we know that people shouldn't "own" land, as it takes many
people to honor the land. Therefore, land trusts become integral to the
discussion of organizing any people interaction with the land in an
"ownership" climate.

There are various microclimates of land trusts and not all political climates
necessitate them. However, where appropriate, a trust allows the control
point to move from one person to many (a "trust" in my climate is simply a
liability umbrella, or corporation, for "property", as in currency, real
estate, and other stakes in things of "value").

Since "property" will be picked up by the "state" as "taxable", there are
various ways of dealing with this. However, most taxes in my climate are
assessed through "wages" ("wealth" compensating "labor"). This leaves taxes
on "land" relatively low. Therefore, more "wealth" can be reinvested in the
land if "wages" can be captured in a sink.

Capturing "wealth" in this climate requires a "charity". A charity, here,
merely means a corporation that benefits and is supported by more than just a
few people and isn't limited to a specific "class" of people ("persons
interested in Permaculture" verses "persons who took the PDC").

In this climate, there is still a requirement to "earn" money to pay taxes,
but the most effective way involves first having a charity that benefits land
and people. One can then work towards the minimum tax level as a basement
"wage" or "business activity" requirement. The surplus from making a living
can then be sunk into the charity.

In the USA, start with IRS Form 990 to decide if you have enough support to
start a charity. You can also go to the guidestar.org web site to look
through 990 forms already filed or search for existing Permaculture charities
(48 results). Then decide who meets the ethical needs for where you live.
If none exists, consider a new charity to meet this need.

Remember the difference between peer-to-peer and service oriented networks.
I envision a peer-to-pear Permaculture mutual support network/charity.
Somebody still needs to operate the charity, so remember to organized it in a
way that doesn't create control points (pass around and share
legal/accounting responsibilities equally around the network, etc).

Are we all on the same page for the next steps?

-Sean.

The fish are biting.