permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BodyPolictic-Political Humor-Congress Votes to Outsource Presidency!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BodyPolictic-Political Humor-Congress Votes to Outsource Presidency!
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:08:59 -0500

At my runningonempty2 conversation, there is a constant temptation to proceed immediately to the "downward dystopic spiral of die-off" (e.g. www.dieoff.com ) in our rhetoric. The existing calamities, and those coming at us, are so enormous that they can be profoundly depressing and alienating.

I always caution against that, however. It's not that I am admiring my pretty pink rose glasses that tint my view of everything. Rather, it's that I believe profoundly in the power of self-fulfilling prophecies. Indeed, they are the best kind of prophecies qua prophecies, because by definition they always come true -- they are self-fulfilling.

I do, however, think that we should be careful in selecting which prophecies we choose to self-fulfill. It is evident from human history that events often turn on surprisingly small happenings. Outcomes can't always be predicted from current trends. A small amount of rock dust can have an amazing consequence for yield.

Which is why, even with all I know about the potential for dieoff, I am not in a rush to embrace it, and I am certainly not going to self-fulfill it as a prophecy. I like telling scary stories around a campfire as much as anyone else, but most of my time I spend planting seeds, organizing local food systems, learning and practicing permaculture, etc. The prophecies I work on self-fulfilling are those of a managed descent. I am not building my rural retreat for me and mine and to hell with the rest of the world. I remain in the middle, literally, of Oklahoma City, a metropolitan area of 1 million. Over the last 3 years I have cut the BTU use of my household by 50%. I organized a food coop that only sells local foods, and amazingly now we have 1200 members and move tens of thousands of dollars of locally produced groceries every month. ( www.oklahomafood.coop ) Wearing another hat, we distribute 150,000 pounds of food free of charge to about 9000 people each year in central Oklahoma who are without incomes or transportation. That started in my living room, now it has its own warehouse. The food coop started with one message to a listserv. In May, people from 8 states came here to learn how to duplicate our system.

Will it be enough? Not today, but tomorrow and the day after are their own stories. As they say, it's not over until its over.

Bob Waldrop, OKC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tommy Tolson" <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
This is a profoundly political statement favoring an arbitrarily
privileged viewpoint, as far as I can tell. It comes from someone of
remarkable stature,
an authority figure, if you will. This is a statement of "how it should
be," asking for no support, a simple, authoritarian declaration, the
forte of white men.
How, pray tell, does a positive solution come about without a
decision-making process? Yes, we are in energy descent, but saying so
is another political statement.
Who decides what is "positive and practical now" for the members of this
listserv? How is consensus gathered in the Permaculture community in
general and on this
listserv in particular? Who rules this listserv? Who may speak
freely? Anyone? No one?

I am not a farmer and I am not white in more than skin color. I look
white until you look close but I'm not white. I have a Permaculture
design certificate and I do
Permaculture designs when they show up to be done. Even when I live on
the land, I am not a farmer. Am I subject to farmer rules on this
listserv? Like it or leave it?
Is that the rule here, too?

I do not own a positive view of the future. Two out of three people now
living are not ecologically supported in a world without cheap oil. It
is going to get very ugly very
quickly, and insisting upon a positive viewpoint is not going to change
that. The likelihood is that two thirds of the humans now living will
die off within the next fifty years. I can not
begin to make that appear positive. Global warming is a one hundred
year old issue. The warning was issued one hundred years ago and we
haven't done anything about it yet.
Peak Oil was predicted in something like 1957 and few outside the oil
business (I'm third generation oilfield) still, in 2007, even know what
Peak Oil means.
Leonard Cohen sang, "I have seen your future and man, it's murder."
That's consistent with what I know.

Thinking we can build out our designs and make them work and live out
our lives in relative peace while the rest of the world falls apart does
not strike me as realistic at all, and
if I have to adopt an attitude based on the illusion that it is
realistic in order to be on a Permaculture listserv, I find that
prospect bizarre as hell.

Are there any adults in charge here? Or has Permaculture morphed into a
New Age quasi-theology? We can think the future away? Oscar Wilde, I
think, said "If you tell them
the truth, make them laugh or they'll kill you." I have neither the
desire nor the inclination to make you laugh.

Tommy Tolson
Austin, TX