permaculture - [permaculture] 'control', this list, communication, and community

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] 'control', this list, communication, and community
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:21:13 -0400

hey folks,

i just want to say that i appreciate this listsevre, and the opportunities it offers us all to connect with permaculture ideas and individuals around the world

it is a wonderful resource

in the most ideal world, this list could act as a way of connecting people in all sorts of practical, (political, cultural, social, emotional etc) ways. another important forum of our community

as a forum, then, it also serves as a 'commons', it is an open conversation. a room full of friends (or colleagues, or aquaintances)

i also have a personal resistance to any 'rules' or authority in such a 'gathering', and hope for people to just behave with each other with compassion, common sense, respect etc

the point of all of this commentary;

as a solution to the problems on the list- perhaps people can try to limit themselves to perhaps three or four (much fewer than currently anyway) posts per week? please? and see how that works for awhile?

maybe take a minute and reflect on if you really really must comment on whatever was just said?

it seems that it is the same few people (the same few men) making the vast majority of posts to this list , sometimes several per day, and i feel this behaviour is in effect silencing others. this phenomenon is, it seems to me, the largest factor of 'oppression' on this list.

i hope that all of us can refrain from (compulsively?) posting our comments to every single idea generated here, so that we can take the time to listen to what others may have to say, to give them 'space' to 'speak'

so, i humbly propose, and earnestly request, that the small number of people (men) dominating this conversation, (this commons, and this room of friends) try, please, to limit your postings, and your commentary. this agreed upon "rule" is something that is common on other high traffic lists, and works well when one voice or another starts to become the "annoying loud guy" in the room

with respect,
kevin

  • [permaculture] 'control', this list, communication, and community, kevin s, 06/18/2007