permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fireplace ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fireplace ash
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 07:50:47 +1000

While we're on this topic - Another use for woodash I experimented with this
season was for curing olives.
I've found using salt solutions results in very salty olives and commercial
curing usually involves using caustic soda (don't mind using a caustic soda
lye for soap-making but the ideas of using for something I'm going to eat
just doesn't feel comfortable). I experimented with soaking my olives first
in a mix of wood ash and water, then a saline solution, then a weak vinegar
solution - result was the best home-cured olives yet!
Robyn