permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Is it really organic???]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Is it really organic???]
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:15:52 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Is it really organic???
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:37:46 -0400
From: Tropp, Debra <Debra.Tropp@USDA.GOV>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi all--

Just to add some clarification to this discussion, posted below is the
official word I received from my colleagues at the USDA National Organic
Program about standards for imported organically-labeled product
marketed in the U.S. Please contact Mark Bradley at
Mark.Bradley@usda.gov if you have any further questions about the issue.

Sincerely,

Debra Tropp, Team Leader
Market Channel and Postharvest Research & Development
Marketing Services Branch
Transportation and Marketing Division
USDA Agricultural Marketing Service
1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Room 2949-South
Washington, DC 20250
Phone: 202-720-8326
Fax: 202-690-0031
E-mail: Debra.Tropp@usda.gov

"USDA standards for organic are expected to be followed by all certified
operations and a USDA accredited certifying agent is expected to ensure
that the certified operation is adhering to the standards--that's what
we license a certifying agent to do when we accredit them. No
certifying agent should permit their logo or mark to go on a product
that does not meet the USDA organic standards--both they and the
certified operation risk losing their certification and accreditation by
failing to adhere to the U.S. standards. Anyone who has any concerns
about a product or a certifying agent should contact the NOP offices in
Washington, D.C. and an inquiry or investigation, if warranted, will be
made."

--Mark Bradley
Associate Deputy Administrator for the National Organic Program

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Is it really organic???], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/22/2006