permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fireplace ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fireplace ash
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 07:49:54 +1000

Wood ash is a good natural source of Potassium for the garden but has a very
high pH so needs to be used most sparingly. Pumpkins like a bit of wood ash.

Something else you can use wood ash for is cleaning. Put the fine white-grey
ash through a fine mesh sieve to remove the coarse & charcoal bits and use
the fine ash for cleaning pots, pans, stove tops, stainless steel surfaces,
BBQ plates etc - as good as Ajax or any similar item you buy & its gotta be
the best cleaner for burnt pots!!!. I keep a bucket of fine ash from winter
fires each year for kitchen use. The charcoal bits you can add to the garden
or potting mix (once again, sparingly).

You could experiment with making lye for soap if you're keen.

Ciao
Robyn