permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fireplace ash

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jerome Rigot <rigot.3@osu.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fireplace ash
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:23:20 -0400

Indeed, it is very caustic because the main component is potassium hydroxide also called lye. The first soaps were made with wood ash.

Jerome

At 11:01 AM 5/22/2006, you wrote:
Thomas,
To clarify, wood ash is not a "poison", but rather, caustic, ie very
alkaline. This is why previous writers have suggested light dustings.
Clients of mine killed many of their plants by indiscriminately dumping
bucketsfull in the landscape (especially since they were dumping it on
azaleas and rhododendrons which like acid soil). I, too, have found that
using it in SLIGHTLY larger amounts for onions, brassicas and other
heavy feeders can be beneficial. A little, e.g 2 cups in a 4 x 4 x 4
compost pile sprinkled in very thin layers as you build, can be
beneficial. It helps repel slugs, too (like putting salt on them).

If your garden is too small to utilize the volume you produce, scatter
it elsewhere (in a forest?), or consider some of the other uses suggested.
Keith

--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine