permaculture - Re: [permaculture] curtailing rampant spirea

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] curtailing rampant spirea
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:28:05 -0700

Daimen,

I was able to get rid of small areas of Spirea (in Eastern Washington it must have been S. douglasii) and other rhizomatous woody shrubs with good ol' fashion pig-tractor techniques. I used three, 10ft long, heavy metal gates, wired together and anchored with T-metal stakes -forming a triangle that I slowly flip-flopped-around the site as the pigs rooted everything.

They made a big mess in the wetter spots -that really took me a long time to repair (use caution -maybe start later in the summer?) -in about a month the pigs were able to get the rest of the area to a point where I could eventually manage it.

I have since used Spirea successfully in erosion control and riparian restoration.

good luck

Larry Santoyo,
EarthFlow Design Works
San Luis Obispo, CA
805.459.0452
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html

Hi everyone,

any suggestions for removing large thickets of Spirea tomentosa (Hardhack)? Until now I've been removing the subterranean suckers by hand, hard work.

Daimen