permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:56:59 -1000

Aloha,

what can you do to deter cats from doing their needs on your garden soil

When I lived & gardened in Sydney I had a serious cat-pooing problem -
solved it by buying a few packets of long bamboo kebab skewers and stuck
them pointy end up in between plants and next to young seedings. Spaced them
about 15cm ( 6 inches) apart.

Similar worked for me in Seattle some years ago.
I just used twigs and small sticks from around the yard, poked them into the soil of my garden beds so they stuck up a ways and didn't leave any spaces large enough for a cat to get on the bed without bumping the sticks.
It seems they won't crap anywhere there's not already enough unobstructed space for them to drop and cover it - that is, they won't push aside even flimsy little twigs stuck in the ground to clear such a space.
Worked for me anyhow...

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -