permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Graham <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:18:04 +0000

Ah yes a perennial problem.... Cat shit is the bane of my otherwise model urban permaculture garden (ha ha, more than a hint of sarcasm...) At one point I was driven to the point of suggesting killing a cat and nailing it's mummified body up to my beautiful 'anti-war' carved archway as a cat detterent, but folks on the various vegan forums I'm on thought that was a bit over the top and would make me a valid target for the ALF, so I calmed down a bit (and wasn't being serious anyway, for all you irony-free types). But the issue of cat shit still remains one of the most pressing conundrums for the 'problem is the solution' mindset. any solutions that ACTUALLY WORK greatly appreciated....

sinergyinaction@netscape.net wrote:

Hi,
what can you do to deter cats from doing their needs on your garden soil
especially if well mulched, and you don't want to have a dog?
I guess this must be a very common situation especially on urban backyards.
Is there a plant perhaps you can use that keeps them away, because of its
scent/smell or so?
Any feedback welcomed
Cheers
Antonio