permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:18:10 +1100

>> Hi,
>> what can you do to deter cats from doing their needs on your garden soil
>> especially if well mulched, and you don't want to have a dog?
>> I guess this must be a very common situation especially on urban backyards.
>> Is there a plant perhaps you can use that keeps them away, because of its
>> scent/smell or so?

When I lived & gardened in Sydney I had a serious cat-pooing problem -
solved it by buying a few packets of long bamboo kebab skewers and stuck
them pointy end up in between plants and next to young seedings. Spaced them
about 15cm ( 6 inches) apart. The cats soon decided to use other back yards
and left my garden alone.

Ciao
Robyn

--
New pathways to sustainability... education & design services
Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education