permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Earth Passengers <earthpassengers@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cats in the garden
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:34:54 +0800

i find that cats don't pee or poo in areas of the garden that have mulch.
they prefer bare soil so they can bury their excrement and continue hunting
in the area without rodents smelling their presence. they can't bury their
stuff well in mulch and will walk a long distance to find the appropriate
area. perhaps you can give them a pile of sand - they will use it. Now dogs
on the other hand....

i have found more problems with dogs in my garden rather than cats - anyone
know how to deter them? (three batches of chickens have been killed, whole
garden beds have been stomped on, and they poo all over the place without
burying it like our more polite feline friends)

Peter Morehead