permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Dogs in the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Dogs in the garden
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:20:12 -1000

Aloha,

i have found more problems with dogs in my garden rather than cats - anyone
know how to deter them? (three batches of chickens have been killed, whole
garden beds have been stomped on, and they poo all over the place without
burying it like our more polite feline friends)

Yeah, and cats seldom kill your chickens...
Luckily I never had to deal with dogs much, even in an urban front-yard garden (was in Seattle - most dogs on leash, and most owners by law and/or culture keep 'em from dumping on private yards and/or pick up after them).
Here in the "wild west" of semi-suburban Puna district (East Hawai'i Island) it's very different...luckily no roaming dogs in my area at present. Friends in other areas have had different experiences, including goats killed etc.
I could tell you how to painlessly (afaik), quietly and tracelessly do one in from a distance, but it's probably better that I don't... :-o

John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services
People - Place - Learning - Integration